Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why are we here again? Oh yes, the lamps.

What am I trying to do here, really? It's 2011. It's Blog City out there and after almost nine years of working in publishing, I'm launching my first blog. Why now? I can only really answer that I've had many false starts. It's sort of weird actually: after a lifetime of writing about everything else, it's so very hard to put myself on the page. 
But, it's an exercise like anything else and there's a lot of good stuff to talk and laugh about, share and show. There are some big deal stories and some trivial minutiae, but let's spill it all on the proverbial page and see what kind of beautiful monster we create.

First off, I need some new bedside lamps. My uber-handy-but-typically-stays-away-from-electrics husband, Mark, built the ones we use now before we met. I think he wired old artillery shells or something (fingers crossed deactivated) and I added gorgeous creamy linen lampshades (from Restoration Hardware) before allowing them into our bedroom. Marriage is about compromise, so I ventured that they had a rustic sort of charm and were obviously unique, which allowed me to tolerate them while they lasted. Happily, for the last month, they've been in rapid decline, flickering in and out of rhythm like confused fireflies and Mark has finally wondered aloud why we don't just get new ones.
Post-war post-modern bedside lamps

O happy day that brings me back to this point: We need new lamps. Perhaps the reason for this blog is to bring you all along with me to buy them. I'll post photos, you vote. I hate shopping alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment